The New Yamaha YZF-R6 is definitely the most feature-loaded option among all others in its segment. The 600cc motorcycle segment in India was earlier known only for touring and dual-purpose bikes but the launch of the 2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R clears the fact that Japanese brands are ready to bring the supersport fight to India. Yamaha now has one solid reason to launch the new R6 in the Indian market. Here are 5 must-know facts about the supersport bike.
5 Must-Know Facts About New Yamaha YZF-R6
1) Design & Style – Yamaha R6 looks identical to the litre-class R1, carrying certain design elements that are unique on the R-series bikes. The fairing is neat and very light while the Deltabox frame is clearly visible from the side profile. The front fascia is sharp, practical, and highly aerodynamic. The new model of the YZF-R6 is one of the best-looking sports bikes in its class.
2) Instrument Console – The New Yamaha YZF-R6 features a semi-digital instrument console. The needle-type tachometer has gone missing from most of the superbikes but Yamaha has kept the same alive on its 600cc R-series sports bike. The digital display shows traction setting, riding modes, current temperature and other features like a clock and a clearly-readable speedometer.
3) Premium Components – Yamaha offers 6-level traction control with selectable riding modes for different conditions. The front air intakes and sharper LED lights make it look more like a MotoGP-inspired motorcycle. The new model of the bike features KYB 43mm USD front forks while the rear suspension is a 4-way adjustable monoshock. In terms of braking, the YZF-R6 is equipped with 320mm dual front disc brakes and a 220mm single rear disc brake.
4) Engine & Performance – The 599cc, 4-cylinder, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled engine on the R6 is now good for 118.4 HP at 14,500 rpm and 61.7 Nm at 10,500 rpm. The technological updates on the same include a six-speed close-ratio gearbox along with the Quick Shift System (QSS) for clutch-less upshifts while revving the bike hard on the track. The approximate top speed of Yamaha R6 is around 260 kmph.
5) Price Range – The New Yamaha YZF-R6 is priced at £12,221 (INR 11.82 lakh, direct conversion) in the UK market. It rivals Suzuki GSX-R600, Kawasaki ZX-6R, Triumph Daytona 765, and the Honda CBR600RR in its class. All of these motorcycles form a different class of riding experience as they replicate the performance of the bigger litre-class bikes under certain limitations.
However, the price tag for the Yamaha R6 in India would be around INR 15 lakh after including the import duties and taxes. In comparison, the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R is available in India with a much-lower ex-showroom tag of INR 10.49 lakh. Here are the key features and specifications of the New Yamaha YZF-R6:
Key Features & Specs of YZF-R6
- 599cc, inline, 4-cylinder, 4-valve, DOHC engine
- Maximum Power: 118.4 HP at 14,500 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 61.7 Nm at 10,500 rpm
- YZF-R6 with next-generation R-series design
- Lightweight 17-litre aluminium fuel tank
- Aggressive face with dual LED position lights
- YCC-T, YCC-I, ABS and D-Mode
- 6-position switchable TCS
- Aerodynamically efficient front cowl and screen
- YZF-R1 type 43mm front forks
- Enhanced riding position for increased control
- Slimline CF die-cast magnesium rear sub-frame
- Quick Shift System for clutch-less upshifts
- Dual 320mm front discs with radial callipers
- Front Tyre: 120/70 ZR17 M/C (58W)
- Rear Tyre: 180/55 ZR17 M/C (73W)
- Minimum Ground Clearance: 130 mm
- Wet Weight: 190 kg
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 17 litres
New Yamaha YZF-R6 Colors