According to the recent reports, the 2020 Mahindra Thar is all set to make its grand debut at the Auto Expo in February next year. The brand has been consistently focusing on its next-gen Mahindra Thar that is highly likely to launch with a host of cosmetic as well as mechanical upgrades. Here are 5 quick facts about the upcoming 2020 Mahindra Thar SUV:
1) New Engine Options – The brand is expected to offer the next-gen Mahindra Thar with a BS6 compliant, 2.2-litre, four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine capable of churning out a maximum power of 140HP and 300Nm of peak torque. The power output for the 2020 Mahindra Thar will be higher when compared to the 105HP offered by the currently available 2.5-litre diesel engine. Some reports also suggest that the brand might also offer a 2.2-litre petrol variant for the SUV, inspired by the XUV500. Like the current-gen model, the upcoming model of Thar will also be available in both 4×2 and 4×4 variants.
2) New Platform – The 2020 Mahindra Thar will be based on the brand’s third-gen chassis that is also doing duty on the updated Scorpio and TUV300. Being based on a new platform, the off-roader SUV is expected to get an increase in overall dimensions. In addition to this, the next-gen Thar will feature a wider footprint as well as a revised suspension.
3) Increased Safety Parameters – According to the new automotive safety norms that came into effect recently, the brand will be debuting the 2020 Mahindra Thar with dual front airbags, seat belt reminders, rear parking sensors, ABS with EBD as well as a high-speed alert system. The brand will also be introducing the next-gen Thar in compliance with the new crash test norms which will be mandatory from October 1, 2019.
4) All-New Interiors – The next-gen Mahindra Thar will feature revised interiors to offer the SUV a more premium look. The brand will equip the off-roader SUV with new bucket seats at the front in addition to front-facing seats at the rear, adding to the overall comfort. The brand is likely to offer a touchscreen infotainment system in the 2020 Mahindra Thar. In addition to this, the SUV will feature a revised instrument console and media controls mounted on the steering wheel.
5) New Styling – The next-gen Mahindra Thar will be made available with both soft top and hard top options. The brand will be offering premium components on its off-roader SUV with revised front and rear panels with a muscular design language. The front end of the 2020 Mahindra Thar will be revised to comply with the new pedestrian norms coming into effect from August 2020. The new model is expected to get a starting ex-showroom price tag of around INR 10 lakh.