7 Quick Facts About India’s First BS6-Compliant Scooter
1) It’s a Honda Activa 125: It is indeed a proud moment for Honda 2-Wheelers, as they are the first mass-market brand to launch a BS6-compliant scooter in India. In order to make Activa BSVI-compliant, Honda has upgraded the 125cc engine with components like fuel-canister, closed-loop catalytic converter, electronic fuel injection, and the scooter is now also equipped with an ECU (Electronic Control Unit). It is a highly efficient engine that is expected to deliver unmatched performance.
2) Programmed Fuel Injection: Honda has also introduced fuel injection in the new Activa 125 which marks it the first scooter by the company to get PGM-Fi. The technology feeds optimum fuel into the cylinder which increases the efficiency for the scooter. The programmed fuel injection will also generate the required amount of power when the throttle is opened at the same amount.
3) Advanced Instrument Console: The company has equipped the BS6 Activa 125 with an updated instrument console. It remains a digital-analogue meter but now for the first time, it will display advanced information like real-time fuel efficiency, average fuel efficiency, and distance to empty. Apart from that, it shows an odometer, a clock, an ECO indicator and a service due indicator. The unique thing which Honda has done is that now it has a side stand indicator which will prevent the engine from starting if the stand is out.
4) Feature Rich: The scooter has now an external fuel filler, which can be opened from a 5-in-1 lock with dual function switch at the front. Its dual function switch not only opens the external fuel lid but also opens the storage under the seat. The scooter also has a metal body on which one can rely confidently. The elegant chrome plated emblem on the side makes it look more attractive. It also has a pass switch that lets you overtake conveniently and safely.
5) Silent Start and Idling Stop System: Honda has introduced a new feature called Honda ACG starter which starts the motor with the same AC generator that generates electricity and charges the battery. This upgrade eliminates the need for a starter motor, which cancels gear meshing noise. The Idling stop system eliminates wasteful fuel consumption when one is standing at traffic lights or makes other brief stops to save fuel. Once the throttle is opened, the ECU (Engine Control Unit) detects it and signals engine to start.
6) Technical Specifications: Mechanically, India’s first BS6-compliant scooter is equipped with the same 124cc air-cooled, single cylinder engine. It produces 8.4 HP of maximum power and 10.5 Nm of peak torque. The suspension duties for the scooter are handled by telescopic forks at the front and shock absorbers at the rear. Braking performance for the scooter is handled by a disc brake at the front and a drum brake at the rear. The all new Activa rides on 12-inch front and 10-inch rear alloy wheels that have 90/90-R12 and 90/100-R10 tyres respectively.
7) Launch Details and Expected Price: For the first time, Honda will be providing 6 year warranty for the Activa 125, which includes 3 years standard warranty and 3 years optional extended warranty. The scooter gets six shades: Heavy Grey Metallic, Midnight Blue Metallic, Pearl Precious White, Black, Rebel Red Metallic, and Majestic Brown Metallic. The BS6 model of Activa 125 will go on sale in September 2019 and it is expected to be priced INR 5000 higher than the current price of BS4 model, which is INR 60,500 (Approximate).